I’m sure that you purchased your long term disability policy to provide peace of mind if you became disabled. You may have every intention of returning to work but simply continue to be disabled while you’re recovering.
Don’t think that the long term disability carrier is sitting idly by while you’re collecting disability benefits. There are five things that long term disability carriers can do to delay or even deny your long term disability benefits. These include:
1. Obtaining an Independent Medical Evaluation (IME) by a physician who has been paid to say that you are not disabled;
2. Having a field investigator knock on your door, unannounced, for the purposes of taking a statement about your Activities of Daily Living;
3. Seeing strange vehicles in your neighborhood following you to and from doctor’s offices, the grocery store or even to the children’s school and securing surveillance of your activities;
4. Contacting your neighbors and even your co-workers about your hobbies and daily activities;
5. Having the long term disability carrier’s peer reviewer or consulting doctors call your attending physician in an effort to convince your doctor that you’re capable of engaging in part-time employment.
What you should do to protect yourself
One of the quickest ways to provide yourself with peace of mind is to secure the services of an experienced long term disability attorney who can:
1. Help you complete the Activity of Daily Living forms submitted to you by the disability carrier;
2. Provide advise on what to expect and how to handle field representatives, surveillance and vocational evaluations used by disability insurance companies to deny claims;
3. Provide disability advice on what to expect and how to handle an independent medical evaluation (IME) or a Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE);
4. Advice on how you should communicate with your physician about your occupation and how to fill out the disability forms;
Getting the go-to book
You should also order the no obligation copy of my book, “The Smart Long Term Disability Consumer Guide For Preparing For Your Statement and Field Visit – See more at: http://www.caveylaw.com/the-smart-long-term-disability-consumer-guide-for-preparing-for-your-statement-and-field-visit/” that explains to you the games that long term disability carriers play in disability claims.
Be prepared and be forewarned. You should be ready to take on insurance companies so that you can get the disability benefits you deserve. Call today at 727-894-3188 for a complimentary consultation.