Many have wondered how the Government Shutdown will affect their disability claims. While, the shutdown will limit the services the Social Security Administration (SSA) will offer, the good news is they will continue to make payments with no change in payment dates. So, if you have already received an award, you don’t have to worry about that money continuing to come to you.
The SSA will remain open for the following functions:
- Applications for benefits
- Requesting an appeal
- Changing your address or direct deposit information
- Accepting reports of death
- Verifying or changing your citizenship
- Replacing lost or missing Social Security Payment
- Issuing a critical payment
- Changing a representative payee
- Processing a change in your living arrangement or income (SSI only)
- The hearing office will remain open
- All on line services will remain open
This means the Social Security claims process is just fine. While the situation is subject to change due to the congressional stalemate on budget and debt negotiations, our office continues to work with the Social Security Administration on our client’s claims and we do not foresee any problems.
So, If you are a current client or are thinking of applying for social security disability, the shutdown will not affect you. Feel free to call us should you wish to pursue a claim for social security disability benefits.