Before applying for long term disability benefits there are 7 things you should do to protect yourself.
Nancy Cavey, Hillsborough and Pinellas County, Florida disability insurance lawyer, who has written a free consumer quide to long term disabiity policies called “Robbed of Your Peace of Mind” suggests that long-term disability applicants call and:
(1) get a copy of their policy;
(2) read the policy and the directions for filing their claim and follow every step;
(3) make a copy of everything you send to the disability carrier;
(4) send everything to the long term disability carrier with return receipt request to prove that you sent the material;
(5) if you speak with the adjuster, which Nancy Cavey does not suggest you do, document every telephone conversation;
(6) if you have a high monthly benefit policy, be prepared for surveillance. The disability insurance company will hire an investigator to videotape you;
(7) consider consulting Nancy Cavey to assist you through the disability claims application process. Nancy can assist you before you file, during, and after the claim has been filed;
(8) remember that disability insurance companies review files on an ongoing basis.
Simply being paid does not mean that your benefits will continue. If your checks start coming late or stop, contact Cavey & Barrett for assistance in protecting your rights to the long-term disability benefits by clicking the link or calling 727-894-3188 you paid for to protect your family.